SWMMBA MEETING MINUTES 10/15/14
Meeting was called to order at 6:05 PM at KRESA in Portage, MI.
In attendance: Travis Bell, Meg Zaplowski, Charlene Orwat, Rick McIntosh, Gordie Allen, Mike Needham, Amy Simmons, Mike Miller and Tony Trojanowski.
All board members present.
Agenda changed to reflect addit
After sign in was complete the September minutes were accepted.
- Membership: currently at 112. Suggestion was made to form a membership committee to organize drives and send renewal reminders.
- Treasurer: Submitted by Rick, very little change since last month.
- Communication: SWMMBA Twitter & Instagram accounts are now active. Adopt-a-trail has a tweet address. Amy has been updating the website to include previous meeting minutes and information about upcoming elections (also to be posted on FB).
- Advocacy: MMBA summit scheduled for October 25 & 26. MI trails advisory scheduled for October 20; A SWMMBA presence would be appreciated. Discover Kalamazoo has billboards referencing biking trails, would like to get a link to our website from there.
- DNR update presented by Tony Trojanowski and appears as an addendum at the end of the minutes. Included is data collected by trail cameras. The camera data and the trail counters data do not correlate well. Various explanations were suggested, however, no conclusion were drawn.
- Reroute work has been completed. Trail day scheduled Saturday, email blitz to members. Water will be shut off at trail head lot on October 20.
- MOU has been reviewed and revised by IMBA, awaiting response from the Parks Department.
- Committee continues to meet to work out details of phase one of the project as well as develop a sponsor package
- IMBA Trail Care Crew has confirmed that we will be their first choice for location for spring 2015.
- Texas Township: Meg attended meeting held this past week with the Texas Town Board. A Parks and Trails Advisory Committee is being established to oversee the development of the parcel of land. Open seats remain on the committee; Tony Calloway has expressed an interest. Next meeting scheduled for November 25.
- Spring Bike Swap is being developed by Brian & Charlene. They are seeking input from SWMMBA regarding the goal of the swap, budget and other various details. Rather than take time at this general meeting, a separate meeting will be scheduled to discuss those details.
- Board Elections: A call for candidates and nominations will be posted on website & FB. Current bylaws state that Vice President will become President; therefore we will need to replace the Vice President. Modification of the bylaws will require a percentage of the constituency and is being considered. The elections and member party will be held at Rupert’s on December 5th, details to be worked out.
- Discussions regarding moving funds from PNC Bank will be tabled until after the elections. In the meantime, a sum of $500 will be transferred to the credit union to cover incidental expenses.
- Collection and organization of grant information still needs to be addressed. An email blast to all members seeking volunteer with grant writing experience to participate in this endeavor.
- Travis is continuing to communicate with Andy Williams of IMBA to schedule a chapter building workshop for SWMMBA. Perhaps in coordination with TCC in the spring.
- SWMMBA presence at area events such as Iceman, P2P, Melting Mann, etc to be accompanied by SWMMBA merchandise such as headsweat beanie and jerseys. Further discussions will follow.
Suggestions for gifts for Adopt-a-trail volunteers include work gloves, cooler, fleece jacket, camel back backpack and plaque for bike shop. Expecting gifts to be ready to present at Christmas Party.
Amy shared information she researched re: a pop up tent with SWMMBA logo. Prices are upwards of $1200. Will look into having our logo added to an existing pop up & purchase walls.
Mike suggested a trail day at FC to address erosion issues.
Meeting adjourned at 8:17.
Next meeting at KRESA 11/19/14.